Thursday, December 11, 2008

RGOs

A few weeks ago we got RGOs (reciprocating gait orthotics). It was a very trying and the hardest fitting I have ever had. I knew that and have always known that there was no such thing as a "miracle brace or treatment", the only true miracle we will EVER know in this journey is Jackson himself. But for some reason, I just thought we'd put them on and he would take off--I knew in my mind he wouldn't, but for some reason I thought he would. So, needless to say when we put them on, he didn't take off and in fact he cried and I cried, it was really hard. We brought the braces home and I put them on him the next day, it was a battle again, trying to help him figure them out, trying to figure them out myself; it was a tough therapy session to say the least. On Monday, I e-mailed another mom (who's daughter wears RGOs) from the AMC support group, my true life line since our diagnosis. I talked to another AMC mom and even though her son has never worn RGOs and she offered support, a just a sympathetic ear and encouragement. The mom who's daughter wears RGOs told me she had the same wild idea about the braces, she offered suggestions and when I got home from work and put them on, we put the RGOs again using her suggestions and Jackson's ability to truly know his mommy and he rocked and kicked through the whole house, I cried again, tears of shear joy!

We did have to go back to get them adjusted as Nick our orthotist made the butt piece a little too short. We got the new piece on Friday and are doing very well rocking and kicking our way around the house.

No comments: