Monday, February 8, 2010

Believe Dat

Three years ago today, I became a mommy. I can't believe it's been 3 years already, but wow, what a journey it has been. I still remember back to how scared I was the first time I laid eyes on Jackson and the meltdown I had with my mom on the phone outside the NICU because I couldn't figure out how to change Jackson's diaper and never thought I would learn. Over the past 3 years, I have learned to put on diapers, care for cast, change braces, modify braces, fight for everything and advocate for my amazing miracle! Today, my bumblebee flies, he is fully potty trained (day & night), in school 4 days a week with the necessary supports and fully included, walks in a gait trainer and is the smartest little thing I have ever met!

I would be remised to write this post and not acknowledge those who have been with us on this journey. First and foremost our family, including those who are not our family by blood, but by circumstances and most importantly by love---our AMC family. Without y'all, I would have no one to ask all the "silly" questions to like, "how do you wipe your own butt?, how do you eat?, how did you learn to drink from a regular cup?" You have been the brightest spot for our family over the past 3 years, what an amazing bunch of women, men and kiddos y'all are! Secondly, to those who share our days with in preschool, these kids took to Jackson and they are his buddies and girlfriends---they make me so proud! Another huge part of preschool and Jackson's success there has been "Stephi, Wephi"----she helps Jackson be included and he absolutely LOVES her, even when he's tough on her!

Three years ago today, I not only became a mommy, I also became a different person, with a different life and I wouldn't change one moment---What a great 3 years it's been and I can't wait to see what the next year holds for us....


much love (& who dat!),

the heckerts

No comments: